Sarah Kingdom Mills
Hywel Dda University Health Board
There are approximately 25,088 beds within social care and 10,288 beds within health care. We have 2,290 student nurses enrolled on pre-registration programmes, all of whom require 50% of their nursing programmes to be in a Practice Learning Environment/clinical placements. There are minimal numbers of students accessing a social care placement, whilst health care (NHS) placements regularly over capacity.
The project will look at interprofessional clinical placements; starting with student nurses to see how these can be provided within care homes, linked to the Care Home Education Facilitator (CHEF) role
The project will focus on developing the care homes in-line with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC 2018) Education Standards and the Once for Wales 2020 arrangements.
- Showcase the role of the CHEF as a key stakeholder in developing care homes as practice learning environments
- Work with local authorities and independent providers to advise and train the staff teams in the roles and responsibilities of Practice Supervisors/Practice Assessors (PS/PA)
- Support the educational audits and development of student information packs
- Introduce the concept of social care placements to the students as they embark on their programmes.
- Operational CHEF role spanning whole student journey including: selection and recruitment, facilitation of placement, delivery of PS/PA training, monitoring quality and quantity of placements; supporting staff and their students with action plans as required through to the point of registration. Create PLE’s.
- Develop governance processes.
- Strategic responsibilities of the CHEF role are to influence, promote and embed opportunities, through collaboration with key stakeholders.
- Establishment of a National CHEF Steering group.
- CHEF role integral to the development of practice education across care homes
- Work strategically and operationally enhancing placement quality and availability
- Develop positive, effective relationships with care home managers and other key stakeholders
- Promote new placement opportunities across Wales.
- Increase student nurse placements in care homes.
- Increased student nurse placements
- Skilled knowledgeable health and social care staff
- Evidence based compassionate person centred care.