Karen Sankey and Jane Bellis
Community Wellness CIC / Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board
Watch Karen talk about the project.
Watch John, a beneficiary of the project, talk about his experience.
The Community Wellness Model is an innovative, integrated Health and Social Care approach focused on supporting the most vulnerable members of our society. The Community Wellness Company led by GP, Karen Sankey and Outside Lives led by Social Worker, Lucy Powell have formally partnered to develop and deliver the model.
Throughout their careers in the NHS and Social Care Karen and Lucy have witnessed time and time again the challenges faced by individuals in need seeking support and front line workers restricted by frameworks and red tape leading to some of our most vulnerable people slipping through the gaps of service provision.
The Community Wellness Model seeks to address these challenges and bridge the gaps between traditional public sector offers and the fantastic work being done by communities and third sector organisations. Working collaboratively with local partners we aim to work in communities living in poverty and connect with individuals, marginalised and vulnerable groups and those with complex needs to truly understand the challenges they face, their unmet needs and their dreams and aspirations to enable us to co-produce and co-deliver meaningful, bespoke activities, support and care to enable them to live well emotionally, psychologically, physically and spiritually.
- Promotion of inclusion, and consequent reduction of loneliness and isolation
- Active engagement of beneficiaries, co-production of project activities, and strengths-based working
Realisation of opportunities for personal progression and skills development;
Improved physical, emotional and psychological health & wellbeing;
For the community:
- Greater community resilience, and a growing culture of inter-dependency, based on recognising community strengths.
- More safe and supportive community spaces
- 75% of participants say that they are now more satisfied with their lives.
- 88% feel that the things that they do are more worthwhile
- 100% say that they feel happier now
- 38% have reported a reduction in their anxiety
- 3 Participants have been supported into housing
- 2 Participants have been supported into paid work
- 6 Participants have been supported into volunteer work
- All participants have expressed an interest in continuing their journey with Community Wellness.