Dave Smith, Alex Chase, Anwen Jenkins, Pankaj Kumar and Aprim Youhana
Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board and Edwards Lifesciences
- Replacement of worn out heart valves without opening the chest and using heart lung bypass machine;
- Uses local anaesthetic where possible;
- Avoids Intensive Care Unit (ICU) bed usage.
This Project Supports Prudent Healthcare:
- Multi-disciplinary co-production;
- Minimises resource use;
- Caring for those with great need;
- Minimally invasive, quick recovery;
- Regional delivery of care for Mid and South Wales.
- Excellent clinical outcomes using transformational technology;
- Heart valve replacement under local anaesthetic;
- Rapid recovery and return to improved quality of life for patients;
- Minimising use of expensive and limited infrastructure resources;
- Realising the combined skills of the multi disciplinary-team approach.
- 37 patients treated, mean age 81 years;
- 81% of cases under local anaesthetic;
- 1 unplanned ICU admission;
- 5 day median post-op length of stay;
- No procedural deaths, all patients discharged.